FACTS ABOUT THE BAUSKA CASTLE RUINS
  • The Baltic German watercolour artist and draugtsman , Johann Christof Brotze holds in his collection drawings of the Bauska Castle ruins dated 1792 and 1806. They show the castle without the roof, windows and doors.
  • In 1797 the first plan of the Bauska city was created. It was drawn by the land surveyor of the Bauska district, Johann Heinrich Kramer. Also, the plan of the Bauska Castle and its surroundings has been added separately.
  • The Czar of Russia, Alexander I visited the Bauska Castle ruins in 1821 while travelling around the country and ordered to fill and wall up the cellars and passages.
  • In 1827 upon request by the Governor General of the Baltic, Philip Paulucci the land surveyor of the Jelgava district, C.G. Raetsch drafted a view of the Bauska Castle ruins and two respective plans.
  • The Baltic German artist and student of local history, Julius Dëring repeatedly visited the Bauska Castle ruins in the middle of the 19th century and drew a plan of the castle in 1860. He wrote in his diary in 1861 that he and his assistant tried to access the partially collapsed cellars in the large semicircular tower of the Bauska Castle, but they failed.
  • Upon suggestion by the Governor General of Courland, Paul von Lilienfeld the Garden Committee that started to plant a park in the territory of castle ruins was established in Bauska in 1860.
  • In 1874 the owner of the Mežotne estate, Paul Lieven obtained in his possession the Bauska Castle ruins along with the castle estate. Due to his support, the castle ruins hosted an agricultural exhibition in 1882, and a pavilion-restaurant was built in the green area of the castle mound in 1886.
  • The school inspector and student of local history of the Bauska district, Oscar Emil Scmidt took pictures of the Bauska Castle ruins at the end of the 19th century. Later they became a popular object for other professional photographers of Bauska.
  • At the end of the 19th century the Bauska Castle was visited by the researcher of the Baltic castles, Karl von Löwis of Menar. He mentioned also the Bauska Castle in his monograph about the Livonian castles.
  • The rabbi of Bauska, Abraham Isaac Kook, who was later a famous theologian in Palestine, used the Bauska Castle ruins as a place for meditation between the 19th and 20th century.
  • On 23 October 1905 the first open people's meeting with about a thousand of residents from Bauska and its surroundings participating took place in the Bauska Castle ruins. They discussed the fight against the autocracy of the Czar of Russia.
  • On 22 March 1921 the Bauska Town Council sent a letter to the Department of Art and Cultural Affairs suggesting to establish borders of the territory of the Bauska Castle ruins. At that time, the castle ruins were under the authority of the Town Council.
  • In the middle of the 1930-ties the Bauska Town Council asked the Board of Monuments to allow establishment of a view platform in the large tower of the Bauska Castle.
  • On 20 June 1943 the celebration of the city's 500th anniversary took place in the yard of the Bauska Castle ruins.
  • On 22 August 1952 upon decision by the Council of Ministers of the Latvian SSR the Bauska Castle ruins were included in the list of architectural monuments. The Council of Ministers issued a special decision on 29 December 1967 delegating the local government of the Bauska district to ensure maintenance of the castle ruins and including them in the tourism route Riga – Bauska — Pilsrundāle – Jelgava.

Created – Hofmanstudio